We all hear and read about the big names that have their systems hacked or suffer a loss of data – NHS, EE and British Airways, to name but a few. But it’s not just big firms that are being targeted.
Here are just a few findings from the latest survey by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport:
- 32% of businesses experienced a breach in the past 12 months
- 19% of businesses had to stop staff from carrying out their work
- 30% of businesses that suffered a breach or attack suffered from loss of access to files or networks, website loss or slowed performance, software systems corrupted or damaged
- Average cost of a breach was £4,180
So how can it happen?
- A “phishing” email opened by an unsuspecting member of staff.
- Loss/theft unencrypted equipment (laptops, memory sticks).
- Transmission of a virus from your systems.
- Simple human error!
It’s not personal
Most attacks are not specifically targeted but hackers use software to randomly seek weaknesses in data security. So your business could just be one of many that might be an unlucky victim.
BizSmart’s Select Members provide trusted, reliable specialist support for you and your business in one place. Covering a wide range of business services across marketing, business admin and legal, finance, IT and systems, people, training and strategic advice and support, they are here to answer your questions and provide valuable advice.