Top 10 tips for marketing success
How do you market a small business? With marketing it’s not a case of “one size fits all” and marketing your business in a way that’s tried and tested for small business is going to be the most effective strategy. That’s the best route to marketing success.
BizSmart Core Adviser Gill Hutchinson of Aardvark Marketing Consultants is an experienced marketer, having worked with SMEs on their marketing over the last thirteen years. If you’re a business owner or director who wants to get more from your marketing, this blog post and webinar is perfect for you.
Read on to discover more about how the founder of Aardvark Marketing Consultants works with her clients and then you can put that knowledge into practice in your own business’s marketing.
There are various options open the small business owner, and with a little thinking and planning, you can harness the different options to deliver better quality sales leads.
Here’s some information that most marketing agencies won’t tell you:
Five free marketing fundamentals
- All marketing is optional
- If it doesn’t increase sales and/or profit, don’t do it
- Marketing is about changing beliefs or behaviours – nothing else!
- Good marketing doesn’t have to be expensive or innovative
- Your marketing structure should be thinking and then doing
So you need to start with understanding some of the key building blocks for your marketing activity, which is what we’re going to cover in these tips. Then you need to move onto what you actually do. Which marketing activities will you choose and how do you ensure you do them well?
The truth is, you don’t want to be undertaking expensive marketing activities that won’t work for your business. There is no “one size fits all” with marketing. There are a certain number of stages you need to work through to ensure you can plan your marketing, but different elements of marketing will work for different businesses. After all, every business is different, so every marketing plan will be different.
You need to plan your marketing then track, measure and monitor what you’re doing. You can then review what works and this will inform your next plan.
Here are the 10 areas you need to cover – the Aardvark top 10 tips for marketing success….
- Customers – You need to understand who they are and what they need. Can you describe a typical customer? And do you know why your current customers buy from you? If not, ask them! This will inform your marketing.
- Proposition and competitive advantage – What do you promise and how is it better than your competition?
- Plan – Come up with ideas for your marketing and then build a simple plan with a calendar and budget. Plan in time to implement your marketing plan, plus put a monthly review into your calendar so you can look at your results. You’ll want a separate marketing plan for events, a separate content marketing plan, and mapping out a multi-touch programme – where you use different marketing media such as a mix of emails, posted materials and phone calls – will require a detailed plan.
It covers getting your messaging right, pricing for profit, word of mouth, farming vs hunting, making a start with social media, collaboration and managing activity.
And remember, if your business is based in Worcestershire and meets certain criteria, there may be grant funding available for your marketing activities. For more information on this, get in touch with email@example.com
BizSmart aims to help SME and micro-business owners scale their businesses and create value through sound practical business support. We aim to give you insight and clarity and fire up your determination to succeed. You can access blogs like this and more besides through our free SmartRoom service here.